Saturday, January 30, 2010

working on the night moves

It's more than Seger, it's a way of life for some people. People like me for instance. I go to work when it's dark and usually come home when it's dark thanks to this frigid death trap we call a state (can anyone say vitamin d deficiency?)

All bitterness aside, there are some definite perks to working the night shift.

Perk #1 - I only work three days a week. Yeahhhhh, just let that sink in. Mmmmmm. That's nice.

Perk #2 - I finally, finally have a legitimate excuse to sleep all day.

Perk #3 - I feel like I've played this great trick on the world that only I know about. My drive home inevitably consists of one or more of these comments:
"Look at those kids waiting for the bus! You have to go to school alllllll day! Ha! I'm going to bed!"
"Look at that guy putting gas in his car in his suit! Going to work? Well! I'm going to bed! I already worked! Ha!"
"Look at this lady walking her dogs! Fresh air? Exercise? Sunshine? Nuts to that I'm going to sleep now!"

It's a secret, non-conformist euphoria that only us night hawks can appreciate.

There are con's a-plenty, as with any job, but I try not to dwell on them. Sure working "regular" hours might be nice, but I'd trade it all for the smug satisfaction that comes with being tucked in, snug as a bug while the rest of the world goes about its' daytime business without me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers