Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fallin all over again


September 2nd and it's fall time again...well at least it is in the frozen tundra of a town I live in. The leaves are changing, the college brats have returned to campus with a vengeance and subsequently the lines at the liquor store have gotten unbearably long.


This time of year finds me aimlessly wandering the back to school aisles of Target for several minutes before realizing I don't actually go to school anymore. Not that I'm complaining. I like being an old maid. sob.


I don't even know what I like about fall in particular, but I do know that living in a place where the seasons don't change seems like heresy to me. I mean if I lived in such a place, when would I wear any of the 900 scarves that I own? Won't someone think of the scarves!?


There's also something about fall that reminds me of newness--of starting over. Really, what part of the look/smell of dying trees and rotting leaves doesn't signify starting anew? Maybe it's just that during this particular fall I'm painstakingly trying to take the next tiny baby step in the roller coaster that is my life. Although, taking baby steps on a roller coaster would inevitably lead to my untimely demise. Perhaps I should think of a better analogy...


*thinks* Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......


What? No, no I wasn't sleeping. *conspicuously wipes drool from corner of mouth and desk calendar*


Bottom line is, I'm loving up the fall time. But I'm not getting too attached because I realize that fall is not long for this world. It won't be long before fall's loud, drunken, rugby-playing cousin, Big W, comes to town. Then it's really time for my scarves to shine! *wink and nod*




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers